At KB Plumbing, we hear this question a lot. Most homeowners want to know, “When should I replace my water heater?” Unfortunately, like any other appliance, your water heater will not last forever, and it will need to be replaced at some point. It’s always better to replace it before it HAS to be replaced.
From washing dishes to enjoying long, hot showers, we take our water heater for granted until something goes wrong. When your water heater is working properly, you probably don’t think about it.
When to replace your hot water heater?
- Rusty Water– If hot water coming from your faucets is rusty, there could be a problem with the water heater. If rust shows up in the cold water, it’s likely to be your pipes instead.
- Age– If your water heater is more than ten years old, you may want to consider replacing it. If you’re not sure how old it is, check the big sticker or rating plate with the details on your unit.
- Noise-Loud banging, knocking, or rumbling are possible signs that your water heater is ready for repair or replacement.
- Lukewarm or no hot water– Without warm water, you can’t wash your hands or take showers. The loss of hot water is caused by one of three possible issues with your water heater: a broken heated element, a misadjusted thermostat, or a tank that’s too small for your house.
- Running out of hot water faster– Do you find that the hot water supply runs out after just one or two showers as opposed to supplying enough water for the whole family as it did before? Reduced capacity is a normal sign of wear or tear and could indicate that your water heater is wearing out and needs to be replaced.
- Water heater is leaking– In most cases, if water leaks from the tank, you must replace it because repairs are not done to the tank.
Water heaters can fail for a variety of reasons. It’s best to schedule an appointment to let a professional handle it for you. KB will advise you on whether a repair is a good idea or it’s a suitable time for a replacement.
Our expert plumbers can install, service, and repair water heaters in a variety of makes and models including:
- Residential Water Heaters
- Indirect Fired Water Heaters
- Gas Water Heaters
- Oil-Fired Water Heaters
- Steam and Hot Water Heaters
- Tankless Water Heaters
- Ultra-High Efficiency Water Heaters
To learn more about hot water heater repair or replacement, or to schedule an appointment with one of our expert plumbers, call KB Plumbing today.