As a mom of young kids, Kari, the owner who puts the K in KB Plumbing, is always prepared for emergencies and the “what-ifs” that children can bring. While sponsoring the Robinson Autumn Festival in September, she met Brittany Massie Weir, who was there to raise awareness for a device called LifeVac; the device used to save her son’s life last year.
On November 3, 2021, Mrs. Weir, a Kennedy Township mom of two, was cooking dinner when her 14-month-old son began choking on a plastic baby doll bottle cap. It was clear, so she could not see the obstruction. Even though she was CPR and First Aid certified, she panicked, thinking she was out of options. Luckily, she had just purchased the LifeVac one month before. Thankfully, the device worked, preventing a choking tragedy. You can watch her story here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUG0kx4zubI
The LifeVac is a Class II FDA-registered medical device that is used when current protocols fail to remove an obstruction during a choking accident. It’s non-invasive and proven to be safe and effective. In fact, many notice a striking resemblance to a plunger. In addition to raising awareness for families to equip their homes and protect their own children, Ms. Weir has also been making local donations to schools, daycares, first responders, senior care facilities, and restaurants. As of today, 44 units have been donated locally to the following organizations:
- Montour School District- Robinson Township (12)
- Kennedy Township Police Department (6)
- (Pending school board approval) Local School District (6)
- Kennedy Township Fire Department- Kennedy Township (5)
- Archangel Gabriel Catholic School- Robinson Township (4)
- Ambridge Police Department- Borough of Ambridge (3)
- Archangel Gabriel Nursery & Daycare- Kennedy Township (2)
- Cambridge Pointe Senior Living- Brighton Township (2)
- Mama Bears Daycare- Kennedy Township (1)
- Just Like Home Daycare- Center Township (1)
- Small Wonders Daycare- Chippewa Township (1)
- Central Diner & Grill*- Robinson Township (1)
*Owner came back with a check to pay for the unit and “pay it forward.”
To purchase the LifeVac:
You can save 10% by using Ms. Weir’s code: BW10 at LifeVac.net.
$10 from each order goes towards donations (Every 7 orders=1 donation)
Or you can purchase units directly from Ms. Weir, and $10 from each unit goes back in donations. (Every 7 units sold= 1 donation)
Brittany Massie Weir, LifeVac Advocate, Cell: 724-650-2402
Apart from giving back to the local community, Ms. Weir is working on pending legislation (HB2673) that would require schools in Pennsylvania to have airway clearance devices available in each school building in case choking occurs and current protocol fails to remove the obstruction. As of now, there is no alternative but brain damage or death.